Overview of Teaching English as Second language (ESL) to Kids Hong Kong

Teaching English as a second language (ESL) to kids can be a very rewarding experience.

Many people might wonder what criteria and/or experience are required to be eligible for employment to teach kids abroad. Here isan overview of the requirements for teaching abroad in Hong Kong or China:

In most cases, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to obtain a work visa.

However, it does not matter what subject your degree is in. Meaning, a degree in Education or English is not required to be qualified. Your background can be in anything from art to science, Business, or language. You must be fluent in English to teach it. As such, most employers will be looking to hire native speakers only. In Hong Kongand China, they primarily employ applicants from the U.S., U.K., Canada, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia. Therefore, it is rare, but not unheard of, to be hired from other countries.

Many applicants wonder if prior teaching experience is required to teach ESL to children in Hong Kong or China. In most cases, you do not need any prior teaching experience, but you should be aware of any employment requirements that will be demanded of you on a daily basis. Teaching abroad, particularly educating children, is an intensive, full-time job. You will have free time to sightsee and explore the beautiful, intriguing culture, but all applicants should take their job seriously. Yet, if you do have previous teaching experience, it should be noted on your resume. You should also include jobs, such as babysitting, tutoring, or working at summer camps, to help make your application more appealing.

Many applicants for teaching broad positions also wonder if TEFL or CELTA certification is required. TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language, or it is also known as Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Meanwhile, Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) is a specific brand of TEFL certification that is awarded by the University of Cambridge’s non-profit assessment organization, Cambridge English Assessment. It is the equivalent of a 4-week, intensive 120-hour TEFL certification. The answer to this query is yes. In most cases, employers are requiring applicants to have at least a TEFL Certificate of 100 hours.

Many applicants wonder about what teaching opportunities might be available to them. There are many different teaching options for native English-speaking teachers. In Hong Kong, it is divided into three main groups–schools, learning centers, and the NET Programme.

–Schools include bilingual schools, government schools, private schools, and international schools. These range from preschool to university level, but kindergarten is the most common type of job placement. This type of employment placement will usually require teachers to work from early morning until early afternoon (7 a.m.-3 p.m.). These positions may require teachers to be present for afterschool activities, weekends, and/or holiday school events. This kind of employment will require teachers to do all of their own lessons and planning, which adds extra time and responsibility that applicants should keep in mind.Another aspect to consider is that schools only hire twice a year, so the application window is monitored closely.

–Learning centers provide children with supplemental schooling. Hong Kong Learning centres are divided into three subdivisions–there are playgroups, tutoring centers, and Business English academies. These facilities are geared toward students of all different ages, but generally focus on kids from 3-12 years old. Employment hours and terms for this type of position will vary on your employer. While some centers operate all day, others will offer split shifts. Meaning, you could be asked to work from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. or 2 p.m.-9 p.m., depending on your employer. You may also have more say in determining your schedule with these positions. It is important to note that most of these employers will provide all lesson materials for teachers, so they will not be responsible for developing a curriculum or planning. Another aspect to consider is that the application window is wide open at these facilities because they hire year-round.

One of the most established English learning centres in Hong Kong is Monkey Tree English Learning Center. With 45 locations across all of Hong Kong, they provide interactive and fun English lessons to kids ranging from ages 3 – 12 years old. You can also read the teaching experience from past and current teachers at Monkey Tree Hong Kong reviews.

Below source layouts the criteria to become a Monkey Tree teacher:

The Hong Kong NET Programme is a highly competitive, government-backed program that hires and places English-speaking teachers into public schools throughout Hong Kong. The employment process is long and grueling, but the resulting job opportunities are secure and offer high pay for those who are successful.

Leave a Comment

NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>